Valentine's Day marks the coming of Spring time, and love is in the air. Looking for something to do this Valentine's Day that will really make a lasting memory? How about something that not only involves romance but also freedom, fitness, fun? We've got a V-Day itinerary, all powered by bicycle, that will take the stress out of planning for the upcoming holiday. We focus on the iconic resort city of Coronado for this epic day of fun on two wheels. Enjoy the trip!
We start at downtown at the legendary Flagship Ferry, in operation since 1915, that takes passengers from Downtown to Coronado and back.The ferry is actually the oldest working wood ferry in the United States, so just experiencing the ride is quite a treat. Tickets are $5 for one-way and $10 for round trip, and you can bring your bicycle for free! We start our V-Day journey at the Broadway Pier in Downtown, you ride your bike if proximity allows, alternatively there are many parking and public transportation options available.
Ticket Booth & Broadway Pier Departures
990 North Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92101
- Metered Parking: $2.50 per hour (3 hour maximum).10am – 8pm, 7 days per week. Certain holidays are free (see meter screen) but time limits are enforced every day, including holidays. Meters take credit cards, ATM and coins.
USS Midway Parking Lot: $10 (up to 12 hours). Lot is open late, but no overnight parking permitted. Evening parking – pay at pay stations.
910 N. Harbor Drive
B Street Pier Parking Lot (ABM Parking): Open for public parking when cruise ships are not in Port. Rates vary – see pay stations. Limited Bus & Motorhome parking spaces for $20 for 4 hours.
1140 N. Harbor Drive
- Spring Hill Suites & InterContinental Hotel (ACE Parking): Rates vary – see pay stations. Enter off of Pacific Highway just north of Broadway.
- Ace Parking Lot (Corner of Broadway and Pacific Highway): Open Fridays starting at 5pm, weekends and holidays. Rates vary – see pay stations.
- Wyndham Bayfront Hotel (Corner of Harbor Drive and Ash Street): $5 per hour.
- County Waterfront Park (ACE Parking): Underground parking garage off Ash Street, between Harbor Drive and Pacific Highway. Open Monday through Friday, evenings only, weekends and holidays until 11pm. Rates vary – see pay stations.
- For more information, visit the Port of San Diego Parking Map
All parking rates and information subject to change
- Train & Trolley: We are just two blocks from the Santa Fe Depot Train Station & Trolley Stop
- Taxi, Pedicab & Drop-offs: Ask for the Broadway Pier
- Summer Waterfront Shuttle: Operates daily from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day with several stops from the Bridge next to the Hilton Bayfront downtown, along the Embarcadero to Harbor Island. $3 on/off privileges all day. Learn More.
After 8pm, the meters are free. Great for evening adventures: arrive at 6:45, feed the meter for an hour and 15 minutes and you'll be set all night!
The Midway lot is the cheapest option for all-day parking.
Take an Uber or Lyft and get dropped off right at the gate!
Now that the scenic ferry ride is over it's time to explore Coronado Beach! Take a couples bike ride around the city, the local vibe is inviting and the landscape is classic. Enjoy riding through quaint neighborhoods with the sea breeze in your hair. Work your way to the shoreline and cruise Ocean Boulevard, taking in the sights of the coastline as you approach the famous Hotel Del Coronado. Our owner Debbe loves riding in Coronado as the fresh air clears her mind as she smiles, thinking about all her summers growing up at the beach. Now you've worked up an appetite and it's time to reward yourselves!
The Brigantine is more than just home to some of San Diego’s finest seafood. It’s a place where locals and visitors alike come to share a lively atmosphere and authentic sense of community. The Morton family opened the first Brigantine on Shelter Island in 1969, with a vision that embraced the beach town lifestyle, a dedication to flavorful food, and a passion for friendly service. That same hometown feel and friendly atmosphere can be found and any of the 8 locations in San Diego, including a tasting room at their HQ! Our favorites are their famous fish tacos or the classic clam chowder, they have something for everyone.
Now for the icing on the cake. A private gondola ride, complete with venetian style including a gondolier and Italian themed music. The Gondola Company is offering Valentine's Day cruises, a great opportunity to do something fun and new this V-Day. The Gondola Company is located in the Coronado Cays, a small community just south of Coronado.
The Gondola Company
503 Grand Caribe Causeway, Suite C
Coronado, California 92118
The following packages are available this Valentine's Day week on February 13th-16th.
Please note: Reservations for Feb 13th-16th must be paid in full at the time of reservation and are nonrefundable.
St. Valentino Cruise
A relaxing and romantic cruise through the canals and waterways of the Coronado Cays. This cruise includes a complimentary chocolate truffle plate. Blankets, an ice bucket, and souvenir wine glasses are provided. Select wines are available for purchase or guests are invited to bring their own beverage. Each cruise is 50 minutes.
Thursday, 2/13 = $165
Friday, 2/14 = $195
Saturday, 2/15 = $175
Sunday, 2/16 = $165
All prices are for two guests. Additional guests are $20 per person, up to six passengers per boat.
St. Valentino Musica Upgrade— Add a musician for $100 to any Valentino package on any day.
Upgrade any cruise package by adding a professional mandolin or violin player. Payment for the upgrade of $100 is required at the time of reservation to secure the musician and is non transferable and non refundable.
More Freedom, Fitness, and Fun!
Now you can make your way back up the strand, enjoying the straigaways and scenic views. The city is yours at this point and you can freestyle in town or head back to the ferry landing. The last ferry back to Downtown leaves at 10:30 pm, so you have ample time to explore the beach and enjoy the evening. Centennial Park offers one of the most breathtaking views of the San Diego Skyline lit up at night. The park is also conveniently located near the ferry landing, making it a great final pitstop prior to boarding.
There we have it folks, some great ideas for a bike themed Valentine's Day at the beach. However your Valentine's day goes down make sure to have fun and treat yourself! Ride bikes with the people in your life you care about, and enjoy life on two wheels. We want to wish everyone a happy Valentine's Day, and we truly appreciate the opportunity to get you rolling!
Google Map of Valentines Day Bike Route
Special thanks to the following local companies for offering quality goods and services and for providing content to help write this article.
We love supporting local business, and feel proud to call San Diego home!
Thanks for reading our BLOG article on a bike filled Valentine's Day in San Diego. Check out our additional BLOG articles for more great information and inside tips!
- The 5 Most Spectacular Bike Trails in the West
- Home Mechanic Essentials BLOG
- Front Fork Suspension - The Best Tips for Keeping Your Suspension Fork Running Smooth All Season.
- The Best in Mountain Bike Protection for 2019!
- The Best Mountain Bike Multi Tool - The Ultimate Trail Companion Mountain
- Biking Trail Essentials - The Best Accessories for Your Ride