The Best in Mountain Bike Protection for 2019
Jeff our Guest Experience Ambassador breaks down some of his favorite pieces of MTB protection in these fun videos.
Enjoy and don't forget to comment and hit that subscribe button!
Fox Proframe Video Review
Fox Launch Pro MTB Knee Pad Video Review
Fox Launch Pro D3O Knee Pad Video Review
The Best in MTB Protection
Mountain biking is an inherently a dangerous activity. With the freedom of high speed trail riding comes the consequences of a crash, everyone's least favorite part of cycling. With mountain biking the dangers of cycling increase greatly with the presence of uneven ground, obstacles, and varying types of terrain. The trail is constantly changing and the line you choose either keeps you rubber side down, or you're going down. How do we help protect ourselves from an impending wipeout? Protecting pads are the best way to armor the body against any mountain biking spills. We're here to break down the best in protection for mountain biking for 2019 including the best knee pads, elbow pads, helmets, gloves, and goggles. Next time you hit your favorite trail, send with confidence and peace of mind with any of these awesome recommendations for mountain biking protection.
The Best MTB Helmets
Helmets are the single most important piece of protection for any discipline of cycling. Protecting the brain from injury is extremely important as the brain supports nearly all of our normal bodily functions. Cycling helmets come in different styles and offer different levels of protection. Today we are focused on off-road mountain biking and we will touch base on a full face helmet, half face helmet, and your standard trail helmet. Don't be caught dead riding without a helmet. Not only is it important to protect the head; riding with a helmet gives you more confidence to send harder and ride further!
The Proframe from Fox is their lightest and most breathable full face created to date. Designed to perform at the highest level of competition in all mountain and enduro racing this helmet packs downhill level protection packed into a ultralight shell. Patented fully integrated chin bar saves weight and guardst the face. 15 Big Bore intake and 9 exhaust vents boast open face level of airflow and breathability focused on keeping you cool through the burliest climbs and protected pushing your limits on the descent. Protect your head with the premiere full face from Fox this season and see how far you can push your riding.
- Ultra-lightweight enduro and all mountain helmet
- Patent pending integrated chinbar
- Highly breathable, moisture wicking and anti-microbial liner
- 24 Big Bore vents for unrivaled breathability
- Fixed visor is positioned perfectly for maximum air flow
- Fidlock® SNAP helmet buckle provides quick entry and exit
- MIPS™ impact protection system reduces rotational forces in a crash
- Dual density Varizorb™ EPS liner provides improved protection
- Our lightest DH certified helmet: 750g. (size medium)
- ASTM F1952 (including chin bar rigidity test)
- EN 1078
- AS/NZ 2063
Best Uses: Downhill, Bike Park, Enduro
The Dropframe helmet from Fox redefines the definition of an open face mountain bike helmet. Ultralight with a high level of breathability, it's the helmet of choice for mountain bikers seeking more protective coverage, higher level of confidence, and overall more smiles on the trail.
Duel-density Varizorb EPS liner and Fox's proprietary M.O.RE. (Mandibular Occipital Reinforcement) Guard design provides more coverage for the ears, jawbone, and back of the head. This is the most complete coverage offered in an open face helmet to date from Fox, and it's changing the game.
- M.O.RE. Guard (Mandibular Occipital REinforcement Guard) provides maximum coverage for the ear, jaw and back of the head
- Dual-density Varizorb™ EPS liner provides improved protection by spreading forces of impact across a wider area
- 8 Big Bore intake vents and 7 exhaust vents keep you cool and aid in moisture management
- The fixed visor is positioned perfectly to channel air through the helmet
- Fidlock SNAP helmet buckle provides quick entry and exit while wearing gloves
- Moisture wicking, antimicrobial helmet liner
- Includes a custom fit kit: 2 thickness of pads to customize fit
Best Uses: Enduro, All Mountain, Bike Park
Fox Flux MIPS Conduit Helmet
The Flux was originally born to cater to aggressive trail riders and became a best-seller for over the past decade. Fox beings a new Flux helmet to fruition this year with the Flux Mips. Featuring the Varizorb multi-density EPS liner, an innovative 300-degree retention system, adjustable visor, and MIPS grade impact protection system this helmet redefines open face mountain bike helmets for the today's trail riders pushing the limits.
- MIPS™ impact protection system reduced rotational forces in a crash
- X-Static® liner inhibits the growth of bacteria, eliminating human-based odors
- Fidlock® Snap magnetic buckle provides quick entry and exit with maximum security
- Varizorb multi-density EPS for enhanced impact absorption
- Internal cage provides additional strength
- 300-degree retention system provides full wrap for premium fit and comfort
- Large retention dial for one-handed, on trail adjustment with or without gloves
- Increased coverage for aggressive all mountain/trail riding
- Fixed anchor Y-strap system simplifies adjustment and improves fit
- 14 Big Bore vents provide superior airflow
- Full range adjustment visor
Best Uses: Enduro, Cross Country
The Best MTB Knee & Elbow Pads
It seems the knees and elbows are an extremely popular location for riders to take damage when crashing mountain biking, so we highly recommend getting a set of pads before you take your riding to a technical level. With different levels of protection available from many manufacturers, we've narrowed it down to our top two pairs of elbow and knee pads for mountain biking protection!
Fox Launch Pro Knee & Elbow Pads
The Fox Launch Pro line of knee and elbow pads is recommended as the best knee pad for all day rides and those seeking maximum comfort without sacrificing protection. The Launch Pro line has been trusted by the world's best riders and for the 2019 year the knee and elbow pads have been fully redesigned with CE certifications. (CE marking is a certification mark that indicates conformity with health, safety, and environmental protection standards.) Gain the confidence to attack even the world's most aggressive trails with the comfort and security of the Fox Launch Pro pads. They're the perfect marriage of comfort and protection, brought to you at an amazing value.
- Impact absorbing Fox F3 Armor provides CE-Level coverage while comforning to your body for full range of motion and proactive riding
- Pre-curved ergonomic fit
- Slip-on fit with hook and loop adjuster
- Perforated neoprene offers maximum comfort and breathability in a lightweight package
- Side impact protection pads increase security while still providing full range of motion
Best Uses: All Day Riding, Enduro
Fox Launch Pro D3O Knee & Elbow Pads
The Launch Pro D3O Knee & Elbow pads are continuing their legacy as one of the leading impact reducing bike accessories for 2019. The D3O CE certified protective material allows the pads to stay flexible for easy of movement and maximum range of motion for the rider. However upon impact the D3O material instantly hardens to provide a shell like protection. Featuring a removable plastic cap to top off the bulletproof design these knee and elbow guards are top of the line and provide maximum protection when mountain biking. Featuring moisture wicking construction, despite the burly design these pads remain comfortable all day long. Rigorous testing and input from Fox's elite level race team have produced one amazing set of elbow and knee pads. Elevate your riding today with the confidence and performance of the Launch Pro D3O line.
- Enhanced breathability through perforated non-toxic hypoallergenic Ariaprene neoprene
- Anatomically designed panels provide superior pedal efficiency and on bike comfort
- Moisture wicking back fabric keeps you cool and dry
- Removable/replaceable hardshell front knee cap to reduce snagging
- D3O CE certified insert for impact protection
Best Uses: Downhill, Bike Park
Fox Defend Kevlar D3O Gloves
Defend Kevlar D3O Glove is the premier hand protection piece from Fox. It combines the best of durability, protection, and weight creating the ultimate glove in mountain bike protection. The defense of the D3O material in combination with Kevlar fibers this all mountain full coverage glove is ready for your next epic ride and some.
- Premium D3O® knuckle guards
- Kevlar® fibers have higher cut, tear, and abrasion resistance
- TruFeel internal texture for heightened feel & control of levers
- Absorbent micro-suede thumb
- Touchscreen compatibility
- 75% nylon / 10% spandex / 9% Kevlar® 6% polyester stretch Kevlar®
Best Uses: Downhill, Bike Park, Enduro, All Mountain
Fox Dirtpaw Gloves
This moto inspired high-performance glove packs quite a punch for its low price tag. The Dirtpaw Gloves feature armor on the knuckles, a padded palm, and high quality flex-point comfort to remain a best seller for entry-level riders and experienced vets. The hoop and loop closure system provides a secure fit, while built-in stretch gives you max dexterity while shredding the loam.
- Compression molded neoprene cuff for a secure fit
- Padded, single layer Clarino™ palm
- Stretch mesh finger gussets for mobility
- Padded Knuckle provides trail-ready coverage
- Silicone print at finger tips for lever grip
- Touch screen compatible
- Hook and loop wrist closure
- 39% polyamide nylon / 22% polyurethane / 15% neoprene / 12% polyvinyl chloride / 12% polyester
Best Uses: Downhill to Cross Country - All Disciplines
Fox Main Race Goggles
The Main Race Goggles are gram for gram the best value on today's mountain bike market. The 2020 model brings you Fox's Variable Lens System (VLS). VLS enables the goggles to be compatible with both standard lenses that come with the product and injection molded lenses sold separately. With a wide angle view perspective, triple-layer foam, and tear off lens capabilities these goggles will up your bike park game without hitting the wallet hard.
- Variable Lens System™ (VLS) design allows transfer of standard and injection molded lens' in the same frame
- Triple layer face foam with fleece liner
- Strap mounted third tear-off post
- Non-slip silicone strap
- Microfiber goggle bag included
- Clear Lexan™ lens
- Lexan™ lens offers excellent UV protection
Best Uses: Downhill, Bike Park, Enduro
Stay Safe, Have Fun, Send Hard!
That about wraps it up for our review on the best mountain bike protection for 2019. We really appreciate the feedback of the Bicycle Warehouse team, our valued guests, and the support of our vendors. Stay protected out there this season, send it for the crew, and take your riding to new heights. Cheers!
Check out our BLOG articles for great information and inside tips!
- The Best Strategy to Buying a New Mountain Bike!
- How to Choose The Best Bike Pedals
- The 5 Most Spectacular Bike Trails in the West
- Home Mechanic Essentials BLOG
- Front Fork Suspension - The Best Tips for Keeping Your Suspension Fork Running Smooth All Season.
- The Best Mountain Bike Multi Tool - The Ultimate Trail Companion Mountain
- Biking Trail Essentials - The Best Accessories for Your Ride