Why Wear A Bike Helmet?

2 minute read.

A bike helmet can save your life. The effects of even a minor traumatic brain injury can be debilitating and last for years. Helmets completely prevent or reduce the severity of brain injury in two thirds of cases.

Protect your head, face and brain from trauma by allowing the bicycle helmet to absorb the force of a fall or crash. Improve your visibility on city streets by wearing a brightly colored helmet or a helmet with reflective strips or light can make you more visible to drivers. 

While most road bicyclist and mountain bikers out there are aware of the importance of staying safe with a helmet the rising popularity and high speed of electric bikes make raising awareness of the importance of a proper bike helmet all the more important.

Severe damage to the brain can have a catastrophic effect on a person’s quality of life. Brain injuries also are the cause of the majority of bicycle accident-related deaths. These deaths could have been prevented with the help of a good bicycle helmet. When you wear your helmet, studies have shown you can reduce your risk of a serious brain injury by up to 88%. Those numbers alone are a great reason to remember your helmet on your next ride.

The U.S. Department of Transportation points out that, over the course of the past few years, only 17% of fatally-injured bicyclists were actually wearing helmets. They go on to say that if a bicyclist wears a helmet, they reduce their chance of head injury by 50% and the chance of head, face and neck injury by 33%. Cutting edge MIPS technology equipped helmets are designed to add protection against the rotational motion that commonly causes concussions.

Top 10 Reasons to Wear a Bicycle Helmet 

  1. 900 People die each year in bicycle accidents, 75% of them from head injuries.
  2. 88% of all cyclist brain injuries could be avoided.
  3. It can help make you more visible
  4. Some people look really cool in a helmet.     
  5. If you are under 18 years old the law requires it in California
  6. You won't have to listen to your mother say: "You should have been wearing a helmet," when you wake up in the hospital.
  7. A head injury can ruin your whole day.
  8. You like your face, don't you?
  9. Keep your head warm and dry
  10. Avoid high medical bills

Wearing a helmet has never been more comfortable and safe than it is today. Advanced materials and adjustment systems have made mountain biking helmets and road helmets lighter and more secure than ever before. 

When you pull your bike out for a ride, don't forget your helmet.

Back to blog

Got questions? We'd love to chat!

Reach us Monday-Saturday 9-6 PST


Store Hours: Monday-Saturday 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Find a Bicycle Warehouse Store Near You!

  • Giant Compact Road Bike Design

    Giant's Compact Road Bike Design

    The world's first Compact Road frame is introduced and ridden by the ONCE ProTour team. With a dramatically sloping toptube and a compact rear triangle, the new design increases rigidity,...

    Giant's Compact Road Bike Design

    The world's first Compact Road frame is introduced and ridden by the ONCE ProTour team. With a dramatically sloping toptube and a compact rear triangle, the new design increases rigidity,...

  • New Bike Day, June 2024

    New Bike Day, June 2024

    Olivia with her new Specialized Jett Meet the Millers and meet their new basalt colored Aventon Pace 500 V3! This is the newest color of the Aventon collection and it...

    New Bike Day, June 2024

    Olivia with her new Specialized Jett Meet the Millers and meet their new basalt colored Aventon Pace 500 V3! This is the newest color of the Aventon collection and it...

  • Guide to Understanding E-Bike Tariffs

    The Complete Guide to Understanding Ebike Tariffs

    As the demand for electric bikes (e-bikes) continues to surge, understanding the implications of e-bike tariffs has never been more critical. If you're a ready to invest in an e-bike, this guide...

    The Complete Guide to Understanding Ebike Tariffs

    As the demand for electric bikes (e-bikes) continues to surge, understanding the implications of e-bike tariffs has never been more critical. If you're a ready to invest in an e-bike, this guide...

  • New bike day at Bicycle Warehouse Temecula

    Join the Fun at New Bike Day at Bicycle Warehou...

    Hey bike lovers! Get ready to pedal into some fun because it's New Bike Day at Bicycle Warehouse Temecula! We're super excited to celebrate with you, whether you're a pro...

    Join the Fun at New Bike Day at Bicycle Warehou...

    Hey bike lovers! Get ready to pedal into some fun because it's New Bike Day at Bicycle Warehouse Temecula! We're super excited to celebrate with you, whether you're a pro...

1 of 4