What to bring to my first group ride? What is proper cycling etiquette? How do I not get dropped? It's not as daunting as it has to be to get into group riding. Find the right group by reaching out to your local bicycle store for more information on SoCal group rides at Bicycle Warehouse, visit our events page here. We absolutely love group rides here at Bicycle Warehouse. No better way to bring the community together than over fun and exercise. Cycling in a group safely and efficiently is one of the key skills of road cycling. Working together is essential to keep everyone safe and having a good time. The first few times you ride in a group it can be a confusing experience. We put our heads together at the warehouse and laid out 10 tips that will help you learn how to look like a natural next time you join the local peloton.
10 Tips for Road Riding in a Group
- Practice calling "Car Back" This allows riders in front of you to know that a car is coming from behind so they can move to the right and out of the way.
- Ride with the flow of traffic! Not facing into traffic.
- Follow traffic laws regarding direction, speed, stop lights, and other traffic signs. Make sure to signal turn direction and intent.
- Wear appropriate safety cycling gear - Always wear a bike helmet.
- Bright clothing and lights help cars see you.
- Do not presume you are seen unless making eye contact with other drivers and pedestrians.
- Ride single file and ride close to the wheel of the rider in front of you but do not overlap the wheels, stay as far to the right as is safe.
- Stop before complicated intersections and decide lane position and ride strategy.
- Defensive riding requires defensive thinking.
- Don't forget sufficient water and nutrition! (Bars, chews, gels, etc.)
Shop Our Nutrition Selection Here!
Be Safe, Have Fun!
Remember, keep your speed as smooth and controlled as possible; everyone is riding in close proximity to one another. This means no grabbing handfuls of brake or fast accelerating. Always have your hands covering the brakes, either on the hoods or the drops. Safety first, speed second, smiles always! Catch our next group ride we have an event every Saturday! From pavement to trail come join the BW team and local riders for fun focused rides around San Diego County. Be Safe and always look both ways before riding through intersections.